Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Movie Review: Puss In Boots

If you’re like me the first thing you think of when hear “Puss In Boots” is “KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY…”

You get the picture. When I was a kid, two things really caught my attention. Kitties and dinosaurs. (One much cuddlier than the other, but still…)

So Puss in Boots became one of my favorite fairy tales. I remember watching the old cartoon (and I can’t remember at all what studio made it) over and over. And naturally when Puss in Boots showed up in Shrek 2 with those ADORABLE EYES, I went into transports of delight. (What? I read too much British literature, okay?)

And then I heard they made a movie.

Now, I admit I was rather torn. Naturally I thought a movie was an awesome idea, but…they weren’t using the original fairy tale. They were going in a completely different direction, and I wasn’t sure how this would work.

It worked just fine.

This is a “new” Puss in Boots origin story, and the writers, as usual, gleefully play with fairy tales the entire time. Puss is out to clear his name and repay an old debt, and to do this, he decides to take Jack and Jill’s magic beans, grow the vine, and steal the giant’s golden eggs. The problem is that in this version, Jack and Jill aren’t two dumb kids tumbling down hills, but a psychopathic married couple whose idea of fun is hijacking, arson, and murder. Then Puss finds allies in his former friend Humpty ALEXANDER Dumpty, and his accomplice Kitty Softpaws (the obligatory love interest, but of the fun and plot relevant kind).

It’s kind of an odd movie, but then again it was produced by Guillermo del Toro, so it’s oddness is perfectly understandable. It veers between playing with fairy tale conventions, and parodying old Westerns. And somehow these fairy tale characters living in what is essentially Old Mexico works just fine.

It’s fun, it’s bizarre, and it’s certainly original and clever. Go watch it.

Also I’m fairly certain every time Puss yells “OhmyGod”, someone was actually startling Antonio Banderas in the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment