Sunday, July 8, 2012

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows

Since I'm still up at this ridiculous hour, I might as well write a blog post.

But first, a little warning. My computer is sideways. Not that it's infected by Sideways, I hope, but it is sideways. Therefore most of my bloggery ideas are...well...who knows, they may be GONE FOREVER. I plan on giving the Geek Squad a call in hopes that their pocket protectors can save me.

Now, on to the review!

"Game of Shadows" is, as expected, Holmes vs. Moriarty. Holmes has started making connections between some very odd happenings, including several industries being bought up by an anonymous investor and bombings in Germany and France. They all lead back to one man-Professor James Moriarty, "the Napoleon of Crime". And thus fiction's greatest rivalry was born.

But enough of that. Here are my thoughts on the movie.

I admit, despite involving Moriarty, it really wasn't as good as the first movie. I feel like they were relying too much on "Holmes acts funny" pratfalls. In other words, despite the darker story line, they seemed to focus ever more on comedy. Holmes in disguise, Holmes flirts with Irene, Holmes does something funny but it turns out to have a good purpose...

While these elements were somewhat present in the stories, they seem to be taken up to eleven in this movie, and I felt detracted from the story.

I also felt that, while funny, the "Holmes and Watson HoYay" was just getting silly. Okay, all right, some of the fandom believe they are totally the One True Pairing and whatnot. But you don't have to keep nudging and winking at us "Oh look they're SOOOO CLOSE. REEEEEALLY CLOSE." Believe it or not, some of us don't see subtext in every little thing we read. This too was rather unnecessary.

And last complaint...the slo-mo. Dear Lord, the slo-mo. It's okay every now and then, to show what's going on in Holmes' mind as he plans his next move, but the scene in the forest was absolutely ridiculous. YOU DO NOT NEED THAT MUCH SLO-MO TO SHOW THAT PEOPLE ARE SHOOTING BULLETS AT THEM. It's a cool effect. You overdid it. Stop that.

Now that I've complained, though, let me put out that I did like the movie. I loved the cat and mouse game between Holmes and Moriarty, the occasional odd comedy (that wasn't centered around Holmes pratfalls and fandom slashfics), and seeing Mycroft (played by the inimitable Stephen Fry). Seeing Moriarty's ultimate Xanatos Gambit was a treat as well. You realize just how ingenious-and how twisted- Moriarty is. Forget Lex Luthor. Moriarty was the first supervillain in fiction. (Well, apart from Eris, but you know.) Perhaps they got a bit too symbolic with the chess match near the end, but that was all right. It was still a nice addition all the same.

Overall, it was a good film, but not the best. I'd give a 3 out of 5.

Now, as for the next movie-because you know they'll make another one-I would really REALLY, INCREDIBLY, TOTALLY love for a new adaptation of Hound of the Baskervilles. There is just the one, which, unfortunately, is sort of...so-so.

We need a new one. We need a "Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law muck about in Devonshire" version.

Please. Make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment