Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Snark Censor broke

I think Logic class is already affecting my mind. Either way, my snark censor broke and spilled out all over the place. Usually I'm pretty good at keeping it under wraps, because usually snarking means someone is being stupid, and that stupidity isn't helped by snark.

Regardless, my snark censor broke, and snark doesn't look like a word anymore, although I'm not sure it was really a word anywhere except the Internet and Lewis Carroll's poems.

You know, I'm not particularly thrilled with the president's gun law fetish. I also think that the response to some crazy person killing people is try to keep normal people from getting guns is kind of a silly response.

But...I mean...

So many posts. So many rage-filled Facebooks posts comparing Obama to Hitler. Now, it may very well be that he is secretly another Hitler. I haven't checked up on his background to see if he got rejected from art school or what have you. But the comparison posts are completely ridiculous.

One states that "Hitler also posed with children in photos, so if you see Obama posing with children you should be concerned."

BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE EVER POSES WITH CHILDREN EVER.

Another is "Hitler was a good public speaker."

BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER BEEN A GOOD PUBLIC SPEAKER EVER.

If you have an issue with Obama's policies, give a good reason to have an issue with Obama's policies. Throwing out the "lol Hitler" argument is a childish response for anyone to use, liberal, conservative, green, or what have you. Perhaps if the argument was something more specific than "Hitler ate sugar" then it could be a valid argument. But it's not.

Anyways, the long and short of it is, I finally got fed up and wrote under one of those posts "Hitler also liked dogs". Currently waiting to see the response.



4 comments:

  1. Yes! Thank you, Erica. This is annoying to me as well. And if that isn't bad enough, have you heard any of the arguments from the "Newtown Truthers"? You know, the folks that say there was no shooting at all and it was just a major consipiracy between the government, the press, and all the neighbors to change public opinion on gun laws. Seriously, people? Seriously?

    At least the state of public discourse in America gives me a noble reason for being a Logic teacher. (Incidentally if you ever need any help with homework, I got your back.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm loving the Newtown truthers. Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to replace a proper argument.

      Thanks, you'll definitely get emails if I get confused. Of course our teacher tends to get himself into muddles and off on rabbit trails...and this is only the second day. Should be interesting.

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I am fairly impressed with the amount of information (and misinformation) that can be packed into a thirty minute video clip. Some parts are even fairly interesting, if you want to leave out facts.
    So, on to the controversial statement. I have only ever seen Hitler and Obama pose with children. I do not see where you come off alluding to parents taking family photos with children is a normal thing. Gosh. Weirdo. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly family photos are part of a global conspiracy involving cheesecake and the Mars exploration. More at 11. Stay tuned. XD

      Delete