Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Odds and Ends

Here are a few micro-reviews too short for a single blog.



The China Bayles series-not near as fluffy and comforting as Albert’s Beatrix Potter series. Intriguing, but definitely not a cozy.


People of the Book-I got through the first couple chapters and started getting bored. Not enough history for me.


Debra White Smith-I still like her Austen series, and they are for the most part pretty good, but after a while, all her novels seem to run together. And her villains are laughably over the top. Like the guy that drinks whiskey after eating ice cream. “He liked to chase his ice with a little heat.” Perhaps they should just take those little Jack Daniels truffles and translate them into ice cream for him, so he can skip a step.


How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You-The Oatmeal is amazing, and understands cats very well. “Rubbing a cat’s tummy is like frolicking through an angel’s back hair.”


Life of Pi-WHAT DO YOU MEAN, DID I CRY? OF COURSE I DIDN’T CRY. WHY WOULD I CRY.

There was totally a tiger. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE.


The Patriot-MEL GIBSON IS CRAZY! SO CRAZY!


Out of the Dark by Brad Steiger-Well, he’s not saying it was other dimensions, but it was other dimensions.


The Code of the Woosters-I…I tried to like this. I really did. I started it three times. And…I just can’t get into it. Maybe it’s the constant slang from the 30’s that I barely understand, maybe it’s just the entire book seems populated by fools, except for Jeeves. I dunno. Maybe I’ll try it again and get into it more. But for now…alas.


Dorothy Sayers-Another one, that I was sure I would love, and I…just…can’t. I dunno what it is. Again, maybe I’ll try it again some day and love it.


August Derleth-Pick a Lovecraft story, any Lovecraft story. Take the elements of it, throw it into a pot, and pull a few out at random. That’s August Derleth. I don’t care about the biggest gripe, which is that he tried to put something like traditional morality into the tales. It just feels like he recycled the same stories over and over (with a few exceptions).


Robert Bloch-Who actually got it. I mean, this is the guy who wrote Psycho, after all. He also wrote a story in which he killed an expy of Lovecraft for the purpose of trolling. Lovecraft, as you can tell by Haunter of the Dark, trolled right back. These weird fiction writers were a trolling lot, they were.


Emma Approved-Blog is going strong, and the show will start soon. So far Emma has given us several generic pieces of advice, most of which talk about how awesome she is at giving advice. JUST AS PLANNED. I can’t wait to see how this pans out.


Mr. CreepyPasta-He reads scary stories on the Youtubez. Here, have a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment