Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thankfulness Day 9


I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee. -Flash Rosenberg

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -Star Trek: Voyager

Even bad coffee is better than no coffee at all. -David Lynch

Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words-putting-into-sentence-doing. -Lorelai, Gilmore Girls

As soon as coffee is in your stomach, there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move...similes arise, the paper is covered. Coffee is your ally and writing ceases to be a struggle. -Honore de Balzac

I like coffee exceedingly.... -H.P. Lovecraft

You know, this is-excuse me-a damn fine cup of coffee. -Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks

_____________________________________________________

Where would I be without coffee? Probably asleep again, right now. Before coffee, people had to wake up without a burst of joy-filled caffeination. Sure, they had tea, but that's tea. It doesn't have that same kick.

Writers especially have a love affair with coffee. As de Balzac (TEEHEE*) said, it helps stimulate your mind and gives you ideas. Wonderful, wonderful ideas.

I used to despise coffee. I loved the smell, but I just couldn't stand the taste. Then I started working at the library, and with a cafe right next door, and I was converted. It helped to have coffee for the "two o'clock slump". It also makes me look busier. If you sit there during a slow time, and do nothing, you look like you're doing nothing. If you keep grabbing at your coffee, it looks like you're super-busy and you need to have that coffee to keep going!

Even if you're still doing nothing.

Coffee: The favorite drink of the civilized world. -Thomas Jefferson

I call him "Dalek Caf".**

*You were all thinking it.

**Dalek coffee maker does not actually exist, unfortunately. But the picture is from If Industries blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment