Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Series Review: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

     I remember watching My Little Pony when I was a kid.

     I remember getting bored and thinking that I’d rather watch Transformers. Although I liked the toys. Pony toys were awesome. Having pony toys and transforming car toys at the same time was also awesome. Having Barbie ride in on a pony to help a transforming car save the day from an evil Sorry piece was fantastic. I was a strange child.

     However, I began to hear a lot of good things about the new series. It was funnier; it was designed so adults wouldn’t get bored when their kids watched it; an alarming amount of teenage boys and male college students thought it was great. That last one is what has gotten the series so much attention, either as a positive thing or accusing anyone who is male and likes it as being a pedophile. (Yay logic.) Either way, the hype was enough that I decided to give it a try.

     Okay, so the opening theme wasn’t that bad. Annoying after several repetitions, but not that bad.

     Twilight Sparkle doesn’t have time to go party; she wants to read. YESSS I HAVE FOUND MY CARTOON COUNTERPART GOD BLESS YOU LAUREN.

     That was it for me. That entire pilot episode had me hooked. The five main characters were extremely different, but that was part of the appeal-really, the writers do a great job portraying how such different personalities would interact and handle one another. Some of the plots are over-the-top silly; Pinkie Pie is over-the-top silly. But they have some fantastic, charismatic villains (ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-DISCORD), wonderful character interactions, an excellent story arc, and some great kid-friendly creepy moments.


     DID I MENTION THEY HAVE JOHN DE LANCIE? BECAUSE THEY HAVE JOHN DE LANCIE.

This did not actually happen. But it should have.
Picture by tan575 on deviantART.

No comments:

Post a Comment