Monday, May 5, 2014

Triple Review: The Intruders, The Wind in the Willows, and Gormenghast

The Intruders by E. E. Richardson

     Joel and Cassie’s mom is preparing to remarry, and the combined families have just moved into an old, creepy house. Horror Story Tropes ensue.
     While Cassie busies herself yelling at everyone, because she is a Teenager and Teenagers Yell, Joel and his future stepbrother start seeing a strange boy running past out of the corner of their eyes, and nightmares of another boy saying a prayer over and over.
     This wasn’t a bad book. It was fairly interesting, and genuinely rather creepy at times, but it was still a bit predictable. You pretty much know how it’s going to end, but that said, it was an interesting journey to the end.


The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

     For some bizarre reason, I had never read The Wind in the Willows when I was a kid. I watched the movie, and thought it was a fun thing, but I never thought to read it. Well, I now have, and I loved it.
     It’s a lovely little read, portraying the gentle, idyllic life on a river in the English countryside. It has amusing characters (especially Mr. Toad-dear Lord, Mr. Toad), some interesting little plots from chapter to chapter, and a surprise Come To The Horned Man moment. (It’s kind of like a Come to Jesus moment, but with antlers.)
     Also, Mr. Toad is totally bipolar.


The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peake

    “Blah blah blah there’s this old guy in a tower who sleeps all day blah blah the king’s servant has major problems blah blah everyone is crazy some kid was born, I guess he’s the main character I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHERE WE’RE GOING WITH THIS”

     Then I stopped reading.


1 comment: