Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Review: Heidi by Johanna Spyri

A/N: My apologies for the bouts of insanity yesterday. They're a common side effect from reading the GoT series, and generally fade with time. Or at least until George R. R. "Punch-You-In-The-Feels" Martin kills someone else.



     I remember watching the 1937 Heidi a lot when I was a kid. After reading the book, I know why I did. It’s such a pleasant, gentle story that I can’t help but love it.

     The book begins with the titular Heidi’s aunt taking her to live with her estranged grandfather. The old man lives in seclusion in the alps, embittered against both God and people. Aunt Dete is clearly eager to get the little girl off her hands, and leaves quickly before the old man can protest. Resentment soon melts away in the face of Heidi’s eager curiosity and loving nature. She charms everyone around her, and when Dete takes her away to live as companion to a wealthy, invalid girl, she brings life back to the staid household.

     Johanna Spyri weaves beautiful descriptions of the alps into the story. They are almost another character, and their effect on people seems to mirror Heidi’s own influence. This is a sweet little tale, and one I definitely will return to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment