Friday, August 15, 2014

Twitterature August 2014: I Am Still Reading A Storm of Swords!!!

Here we are again, back to Twitterature. Once again I have several different books going on.

1.) A Storm of Swords by George R.R. "Kill 'Em All" Martin

   
So that happened.

Worst. Wedding. Ever.



2.) The Midnight Folk by John Masefield



     Young Kay is a very normal British child, living with his odious guardian and dealing with boring schoolwork. But when his dreams blend into reality and lead him on a quest for the treasure lost by his ancestor, Captain Harker. On the way, he has to contend with a sneaky cat, evil witches, and your run-of-the-mill criminals. Some people are really dreadful at capturing how children actually think and behave, but John Masefield does it superbly. Kay's meandering daydreams remind me of my own imaginary adventures as a child.


3.) Forest of Shadows by Hunter Shea



     So I started this. But I think I'm going to give up on it. For one thing, it started out in precisely the way that annoys me most. I go in hoping to read a horror novel. The prologue is intriguing, horrifying, and gives just enough to make you want to hear more. The next chapter is dedicated to setting up how normal the protagonist's life is-which involves really really detailed sex. Yes, sex happens. But I really don't want to hear about other people's sex lives, fictional or not. And then, of course, the protagonist's tragic back story involves an argument about "sex interrupted by crying baby and sheer exhaustion" right before his wife mysteriously dies. Oh boy, I really feel like he's relatable now! Oh, wait, no I don't. That was a turn-off right there. (Pun totally intended.)
     I genuinely disliked the guy, and no amount of the author saying "Look! Look how he loves his child! Isn't he wonderful, WHY DON'T YOU THINK HE'S WONDERFUL" helped. Then, the build-up to the protagonist becoming part of the actual plot was so meandering and boring that I gave up before it even happened. I'm sure something scary and exciting happens later on, but you killed it. You killed it more efficiently than a Game of Thrones character.


A/N: Looks like Anne over at Modern Mrs. Darcy has her post up! Go check out all the recommendations there!

2 comments:

  1. haha, i can totally understand why you'd give up on that book! isn't that the same when the first five minutes of a movie has a really graphic sex scene (aka bridesmaids), and you love the rest of the film, but the first 5 minutes just totally kills it for you? i've decided it's ok to give up on a book! (coming over from mmd!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like most sex scenes, books or movies, don't really serve any purpose to the plot at all. They disrupt the flow of the story for some cheap thrills.

    Luckily I learned from MMD that I can stop reading a book without feeling guilty! :P

    ReplyDelete