Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Twitterature: October 2014-GAME OF THRONES WILL NEVER END

I have a lot of books going on right now. A lot. I have a tendency to play around on the Internet for hours (who doesn't, really) and having more books around is a good way of stopping that.

1.) A Dance of Dragons by George R.R. Martin


I'M HALFWAY THROUGH. I'M ALMOST DONE.

Seriously, I love these books, but they just don't end. On the up side, I'm finally getting more of Bran's story, which is, in a couple words, TOTALLY AWESOME. The politics are just as wibbly wobbly and confusing as they've always been, but several seemingly independent threads are starting to come together. There have been surprisingly few deaths...which, of course, means he's just saving them up for the last bit of the book.

2.) The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien


Initials, initials everywhere! I've been trying to take my time on this re-read, in order to catch things I haven't caught before. I've also been making note of quotes that catch my attention in particular. Can I just say that Bilbo's poem right before Frodo leaves Rivendell is one of the most bittersweet things I've ever read? "I sit beside the fire and think/of people long ago,/and people who will see a world/that I shall never know."


3.) The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins



I thought this would be a good Halloween read. My only exposure has been bits and pieces, and Count Fosco time-traveling to the 20th century to be in Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I'm really looking forward to seeing the original here. Thus far I've been introduced to a comical Italian and the main character, and also Sarah doesn't like it when her tea set doesn't match. (I know that feel.)


4.) Shouldn't You Be In School? by Lemony Snicket



I've been eagerly awaiting Snicket's next chronicle of his days in Stain'd-by-the-Sea. I'm still convinced that S. Theodora Markson is either a double agent or will become evil, because no one in their right mind puts a helmet over their curly hair like that. I'm also looking forward to finding out what Hangfire's actual plot is, because I'm slow at this sort of thing. Snicket's dry humor goes nicely with the noir motif, but I enjoy it even more when everything gets downright ridiculous.



Now, I have to go wash the dishes so I can get back to reading. I might finish A Dance of Dragons before the next book comes out.


Also, per usual, it's Twitterature time for EVERYONE. Go have a looksie at all the entries on the Modern Mrs. Darcy website!

2 comments:

  1. I HATE YOUR PHONE!!!!!! But the Woman In White was a very good book. Rick & Mary Beth put it on my Kindle & it was the 1st thing I read on there. Love my sweetpea bunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone should be up today! I will make sure so I can call you! :D

      Delete