Saturday, November 15, 2014

Twitterature: November 2014-I SHOULD BE WRITING A NOVEL RIGHT NOW

     It's Twitterature time, and I'm linking up once again with Modern Mrs. Darcy! Not much in the way of books this time. I suffered a burst of insanity and signed up for NaNoWriMo. Good news? I'm almost to 10,000 words. Bad news? I have 40,000 more to go within fifteen days.



It's not quite time to panic...that will probably come on November 29th....

Anyways! I've got a couple books going anyways, and no one is likely to want them any time soon so I can RENEW THEM FOREVER.


1.) Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary by J.R.R. Tolkien



     I've been wanting to get my hands on this for a while now. Also, there's going to be a book discussion about it in, like, two weeks which AAAGHH ANOTHER DEADLINE. But it's okay. I'm perfectly okay.

     I skimmed over Christopher Tolkien's commentary for now, because I wanted to get right back into the story. I did notice that Tolkien originally wanted to write it entirely in alliterations, which would have been awesome, but I'm just as happy that he chose to retain the rhythm. I read some of it aloud and I caught that pretty quickly. Thus far I think I like this translation a bit better than the one I have. I can't even remember the guy's name, but it's not the one everyone talks about. I think it's the one everyone hates.

     I've just gotten to where Grendel's mother bursts in unexpectedly (like the Spanish Inquisition). She is not Angelina Jolie. Just say no to hypersexualized monsters!


2.) The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character by Samuel Noah Kramer


     I've got a bit of a convoluted story here. I decided to get some history into my system before heading back to school. I'll be focusing on an English degree, but since I'm interested in archiving I will probably be minoring in history. Feeling way out of the loop, I decided to start filling my mind again. I originally got the Great Courses DVD on ancient civilizations (Brian Fagan is an excellent professor, by the way. Even if Dale does like to make fun of his gestures.) However, just as I was getting to China, the DVD player died overnight. Why? I don't know. I blame the Doctor, because Day of the Doctor was in it when it died. There is a strange orange substance, and I suspect an alien incursion.

     So, because I have aliens in my DVD player, I decided to go ahead and take a closer look at some of the cultures mentioned in that lecture series. Dr. Fagan recommended The Sumerians as one of the most comprehensive books on that culture, so here we are.

     Right now I'm still reading about the archaeological history. Originally, everyone thought the Assyrians were the oldest civilization, until they accidentally discovered Sumerian artifacts. And originally, everyone thought it was either a hoax or a misinterpretation of Assyrian artifacts. As such, it took a while for the study of Sumer to really kick off.

     I really love hearing about old cultures, so this should be fun.

A/N: For some reason my addled brain wanted to call Sumer "Sumeria". I knew it looked wrong but it took me nearly 12 hours to realize what was off about it. My brain needs a break!

4 comments:

  1. Tolkien translated Beowulf?! I'm seriously geeking out over here. I've attempted to reads prose rendition of Beowulf twice (for two different English classes) and failed to make any headway at all. Maybe I should try my luck with rhythmic verse. Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still something of a prose poem but you can definitely see a rhythm when you read it aloud. But I figure if you can read Lord of the Rings you can read this. :P

      Delete
  2. "Just say no to hypersexualized monsters." Haha! Thanks for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read the Sumerians book. It's on my Goodreads list, but I've got some Egypt books to read first.

    My fav. Beowulf translation is still Seamus Heaney (although Anglo-Saxon purists scoff at some of his unorthodox vocabulary choices). My favorite things about the Tolkien book are the commentary and the Sellic Spell at the end.

    ReplyDelete