Sunday, March 15, 2015

Quick Lit: March 2015: I Cannot Brain Anymore


     So I was on that ancient history kick for a while. It was fun. I learned lots of fun, interesting things.

     Then my brain broke.

     I picked up another book about ancient Egypt, and it just...happened. I stared at it blankly for five minutes during lunch, then decided, "Nope. Not happening." That's what studying for history midterms will do to you.

     Instead, I grabbed up The Eight Doctors, because everyone needs more Doctor Who in their lives.


1.


     This kicks off the series of Eighth Doctor novels that followed on the heels of the TV movie. Shortly after the events of the movie (Long story short: The Master turns into a snake and it doesn't help, the Doctor starts his habit of snogging companions, and those shoes FIT PERFECTLY), the Doctor is hit by a last boobytrap set by the Master. He wakes up with a huge bout of amnesia, and only a voice telling him to trust the TARDIS sets him back on the path to regaining his memories. He must defy Time Lord law (which, to be fair, was never much of a concern for him anyways) and meet with each of his past selves to regain his memories. But he has enemies on Gallifrey determined to use this to destroy him once and for all. 

     I'm actually near the end. So far it's been a wild ride, and I love multi-Doctor stories like I love chocolate cake. (Which I am also eating as I write this.) Terrance Dicks does a great job of capturing each of the Doctor's personalities, and there is nothing better than Sixxie and Eight getting drunk off the best Gallifreyan wine together. 



2. 


     This is a story told by an anonymous peasant in 1800s Russia. After hearing the verse "Pray without ceasing" at a liturgy, he walks from town to town, trying to discover the meaning behind these words. How do we pray without ceasing when we are beset by distractions? The story introduces us (and the peasant) to the Jesus prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me." (A longer version goes: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.") After learning this and using what little money he has to purchase a copy of the Philokalia, a collection of works by the church fathers on the subject of prayer, the peasant then roams the countryside, seeking a refuge where he can practice his prayers. Along the way, he meets many people who are also searching for the same thing, and the way they encourage each other is wonderful.
     I've read this before, but I'm re-reading for the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2015 Reading Challenge (a book translated from another language.)


3. 


     I started reading this on a whim before bed, and realized yesterday my timing is impeccable.

     Don't ignore the ranting old guy on the streets, kids.

Edit: I cannot brain so much that I forgot to link up to Modern Mrs. Darcy! There it is. Go forth, and add even more books to your no doubt ridiculously long reading list.

2 comments:

  1. You need to watch the version of Julius Caesar with Charlton Heston as Mark Antony. (A lot of people swear by Marlon Brando's Antony, but I think Heston is better.)

    Also, Luther does a mean "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time we Skype he can speechify for me. XD I know we have the Marlon Brando version at the library. I'll see if I can find Heston too.

      Delete