Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Quick Lit April 2015: More History and Some Bunnies

I only have two books this month, which is good because I don't want another brain meltdown.



1.

     So far I've only gotten a couple chapters in, thanks to the reading I have to do for my actual history class. It's been an enjoyable couple of chapters, though. Martin has given a good overview of what little we know about prehistoric Greece and the cultural background of the Mycenaeans. It's a shame we don't have more information. Most interesting is that the people of prehistoric Greece were already developing that proud warrior culture that the Mycenaeans were known for.



2. 

    
    This was the book recommended to me on the Modern Mrs. Darcy book matchmaking. And oh boy, is it a good recommendation. I've had trouble putting it down. Adams makes his characters so real, and his description of the English countryside is beautiful. I think what I like most is that, even though it's a "children's" book, he doesn't talk down to the reader. Also, I'm about halfway through and I still have no idea where this is going to end up. That's refreshing.


     I'll be linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy, as usual, and you can check out other book recommendations there.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I just purchased a used copy of Watership Down; I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get my own copy once I'm done with the library's. It's definitely going to be a re-read for me!

      Delete
  2. I always loved this book, the struggles and triumphs of a community finding a new place. I don't believe it is a children's book though, any more than The Plague Dogs.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't consider it a children's book either, but it always seems to be in the kids section.

      Delete
  3. Back when I had a pet rabbit, people kept telling me I should read Watership Down so that I would understand him better. So I did. It was an okay book, worth reading once. But I didn't feel that there was much if any relationship between the rabbit characters/society and real live rabbits. I did learn much about my rabbit's way of thinking during the years he was with me, but not from this book. Anyway, I agree that it doesn't talk down to you and isn't too predictable, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I wouldn't have thought to use it as a rabbit psychology book. ;-)

      Delete