Thursday, July 16, 2015

Quick Lit: July 2015: I swear I'm not dead

Okay, moving on to more lighthearted subjects. I missed Quick Lit last month, because new job stress. Luckily, an hour lunch break leaves me plenty of time to read (although I frequently escape to the nearby Java House for quieter reading). However, I don't have a lot going on, partly because I've been focusing on getting ready for college again. (Junior classes! Higher levels! Less confused 18 year olds on the discussion board!)



1.


     I'm about halfway through the play right now. Coriolanus is a good soldier, but a complete jerk. Even his friends agree that yeah, he's a total jerk. This doesn't stop him from attempting to enter politics, like with most politicians. Unfortunately, it turns out no one likes him and would like to throw him off a cliff. (Literally.) So far, it's been Coriolanus being a jerk to starving people, Evil Politicians trying to manipulate the starving mob, and Aufidius failing to hide his Foe Yay for Coriolanus. I'm not particularly impressed, but it's Shakespeare so it's still fairly entertaining nonetheless.


2. 


     I'm continuing with the Great Pendergast Re-Read (GPRR). Cabinet of Curiosities is a favorite, because this introduces Pendergast's memory walking, some crazy Pendergast family, and our first glimpse of Constance, who will go on to kill people with triflic acid. (Delightful girl.) It's been said this is really a good book to start out with on the series. While I'm a traditionalist and have to go from the beginning, this really cements the tone of the books and Pendergast's character.


3. The Boxcar Children



     I absolutely loved this series when I was a kid. I think part of it was every kid's dream of running away and living on their own. It presented such a pleasant picture of subsistence living. But at the same time, Warner presented the dark side of this sort of set up: Violet becomes ill and desperately needs help. (I think it's strange her only sign of illness was laughing and crying, but okay.) Looking back, the kids sound really unnatural. They don't use any contractions, they're always extremely polite to one another, and they are too perfect. But given the time period the books were written in, it makes sense that publishers would want books that show children how they should be (according to society). The first adventure, in hindsight, is kind of boring, even if nice to read about. But as the books became mysteries, they became much more engaging. 
    And let's face it, I wanted a cracked pink tea cup too.

No comments:

Post a Comment