Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Movie Review: Captain America: Civil War

LOOK I CAN REVIEW SOMETHING RECENT. THIS MAKES ME POPULAR NOW RIGHT?

Anyways.

I wrote an entire blog post about this yesterday . Then I deleted it all because it was nothing but vague rambling. Let me preface this by saying: I have not seen Captain America; Winter Soldier. I have not seen Avengers: Age of Ultron. I was slightly lost at times during the movie, but I think those were minor elements compared to the movie as a whole. (And I got spoiled on Winter Soldier because a thousand Frozen memes spontaneously generated after the movie was released.)

Also, I am not used to reviewing a movie without recapping everything, so we'll try to keep this spoiler free.

When a mission in Wakanda goes terribly wrong (see: telekinesis accidentallies a building), and Tony continues to struggle with guilt over a bad thing I did not see, the U.N. comes together to force the Avengers to work under its oversight. The group is soon divided between those who think this is a good idea and those who actually live in the real world.

I genuinely enjoyed the movie. The characters' moral dilemma drew me in to the point that when Dale wanted to whisper something to me I flapped my hand at him, in the same way I try to shoo the cats away. It was actually more effective on Dale, in case you were wondering. I loved the development of Black Panther and would love to see more of him in later movies. I also enjoyed seeing Wanda come to terms with her powers despite being grounded forever.

The effects were good, and of course the fight scenes carried on far too long but if you don't go to a comic book movie for lengthy fight scenes then I don't even know why you're there.

However, I was a bit disappointed by the dilemma itself. Yes, it makes a good point that the Avengers want to create some sort of organization, particularly when going to other countries. On the other hand, the only reason the group is divided is because TONY HAS FEELINGS. This is literally the entire point. Tony feels bad about the thing I didn't see, and he drags everyone along with him. These feelings are so all-consuming that he listens to Secretary of State Bilbo Baggins over his own friends, who, up until this movie, he trusted way more than anyone in the government. In the end, the fight isn't over whether or not the government should be involved in the Avengers' rescue efforts, it's over whether or not Steve Rogers is right. Which he totally is, and it becomes fairly obvious long before Tony figures it out.

So, to sum it up, the movie was good, but the central conflict wasn't what I expected it to be. We have a clear side we're meant to root for (which makes it funny how many people are still saying Tony is right, despite the fact that the government bollocks things up within five seconds of being in charge, and now the movie just feels too real).

On a different note, I found it funny that: 1. They're rebooting Spiderman AGAIN and 2. In the comics, Spiderman's identity was outed by Tony, which led to Aunt May (not a hot 30 year old) getting shot, which led us to One More Day. So, basically, Tony Stark is responsible for One More Day.

I rest my case, Internet.


Also Doctor Strange is coming out I can't wait for Doctor Strange Doctor Strange is the best CumberstrangeCumberstrangeCumberstrange

I'm okay. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment